Chickering is laughing at me

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet5.buffnet.net
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 00:33:11 -0500 (EST)

> Hello all,
>
> I'm still hacking away at this Chickering (ref. Chickering Strikes Again).  I
> got the smaller bass section block fitted nicely, and I got to the point
> where I had reasonable contact with the plate flange on the treble block on
> all four surfaces (the flange is 'V' shaped and stepped)  Now I've gone and
> screwed the thing up by not getting the screw holes lined up.  This
> instrument has machine screws that go through the block into the plate.  I
> tried using dowel centers in the plate screw holes to mark the block.  What I
> wound up with was the block being held back from the flange a fairly uniform
> distance.  (I was able to run a slip of paper all along the flange)
>
> I figure I can plug and reuse the old block if I have to.  But I'm wondering
> whether I could slightly enlarge the holes in the block, just enough to allow
> the block to move up.  (1/64" would do it)  The holes in the old block were
> pretty close to the size of the screws, but not threaded.  If the function of
> the screws is to hold the block to the plate, but not necessarily hold it to
> the flange, (the string tension will do that) wouldn't these screws still be
> doing their job even if the holes were just slightly oversize?  The head of
> the screw is what is holding things down.  (I REALLY don't want to fit
> another block, only to have the same thing happen)
>
> If I plug the screw holes to try again, what is a better way to locate where
> to drill?
>
>  Also, at what point is it too much to rely on glassing?
>
> Thanks to those of you who wrote to me about the other problems I've had with
> this........piano.
>
> Gordon Large
> Mt. Vernon, ME

Hi, Gordon! I've spent the last thirty-odd years restoring 1875-1930 vintage
pianos and consequently have done more than my share of KILLER Chickering pin
block replacements, especially the four piece variety. So I can understand
your frustration. However plugging and reusing the old pinblock or even
glassing a new one is bush league stuff. At this point in time, if you're
only lacking 1/64", you should be able to slightly enlarge the screw holes
until the block is bearing against the flange, and not encounter any prob-
lems. Royal pain though it may be, the next time  you fit one of these beau-
ties, part of the process is constantly having to check the fit with most,
if not all, of those numerous screws in place each time. Definitely not fun!
However, there is a bright side to all this. Someday you're going to encoun-
ter a Chickering with a four piece pinblock that needs replacement and then
you'll look back on this two piece replacement as a piece of cake!!!! :)

Les Smith