Piano purchase

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 23:22:01 -0600

>>I seems a little low, but what do you mean by "reasonable <shape>" ?
>>I have a Queen Ann "S" of the same year with new hams shnks+flangs +
>beautiful case and tone for 14K
>cobble@urvax.urich.edu

Re: 1939 Steinway Chippendale L

The case had been refinished many years ago, but now has some rough spots
plus part of the top lid is discolored by having been exposed to sunlight.
The piano appears to have been partially rebuilt (block?, strings, tuning
pins) many years ago, probably at the same time it was stripped and
refinished.

The action has primarily original parts with the exception of hammers,
shanks, and flanges which were not installed correctly.  The soundboard
does have two cracks, not sizable, but nonetheless, there.  The tone is
very pleasing and full, but does sound old.  The touch is uneven.

The main thing that you should know is my exposure to Steinway Grands is
not vast, though I have been privileged to experience several.  I feel this
one has tremendous potential, as do so many others, given the degree of
money someone would be willing to spend and the expertise available to
perform the work.

However, there are some Steinways in original condition that I have played
that soar with presence, so much so, that even when they are out-of-tune,
have poor regulation, and even verdigris problems, a person is still drawn
to want to play the instrument in spite of these conditions.  This
Chippendale does not appear to do that currently.

Additional note:
 I am slightly spoiled at home by an unseemly 1930 Vose & Sons 5' 1" of all
things, case dark brown and so-so finish, with original parts that have
been brought back to some sense of even regulation by myself, has light to
medium touch, and ivories.  Not necessarily a pretty thing in or out
visually, but does it ever sing.  It just goes on forever and ever.
Sometimes my wife gets lost in it for up to 3 hours at a time, and I never
seem to tire of hearing this piano filter through the house.  I have owned
well over 60 pianos, but up to this point in time, this particular piano
and only about 3 others have really excelled in pacifying my preferences.
Always on the lookout for one that does even more though.

Thank you,

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University