Protection,(was hoists...)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 01 Apr 1996 14:17:15 -0500

Paul Dempsey writes;

>I,too, recommend that the inside of the rim be lined with something
>suitable to protect it from marring.

Having to lift plates alone all these years,  I find three things insure a
problem free procedure.

1.  The "stop-go" chain gear hoists are the way to go, (in the shop). Big
plates are easily moved in small increments, with one hand on the loop of
chain that lifts or lowers the hook.

2.  Three loops of 1/2 nylon rope, tied with taut-line hitches, will allow
any plate to be lifted straight up,(or at the occasional odd angle some
designs call for).  Just slide the loops bigger or smaller until they all
lift their respective corners of the plate together.

3.  Find somebody doing aluminum gutter work in your area, and get a length
of the soft aluminum stock they use.  It comes in long, flat, rolls, and you
should be able to get an end scrap for next to nothing.  Using spray
adhesive,  attache the cheapest felt,( and thinnest!), you have to one side.
Use one long piece to go around the inside of the rim, or several shorter
pieces located at strategic places,(my preferance).
    Many of the earlier Steinway grands have very little clearance between
plate and rim,  but this thin aluminum will always fit between them, allowing
the plate to be lifted with no contact.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works