cracked plate

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 02 Apr 1996 15:51:05 -0600

>In search of opinions!  1880 Bechstein 7' Grand.  The highest treble plate
>strut has a small crack from the top of the strut to 1/3 of the way towards
>the bottom of the strut.  I'm looking for welding advice and/or other repair
>techniques (besides our dumpster).
>
>I look forward to massive response!
>
>Steve Cunningham

Dear Steve,

I took a class given by Bob Beck on the subject of plate casting last
summer in Albuquerque.  I learned so much from him.  Bob described in great
detail a procedure for repairing such cracks successfully and relatively
inexpensively.

Bob is in the directory; his phone # is 201-884-0404.

Good luck!

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music