Hide glue jelly

Michel Lachance Chance@cme.qc.ca
Thu, 04 Apr 1996 02:10:05 +0000 (GMT)

As everyone knows, hide glue in jelly form cannot last more than a week or so
if we don't keep it in a fridge.  Tuner's Supply use to sell hide glue jelly
that could last months without getting mouldy.  We just had to put the jar in
hot water in order to melt it.  This glue might not be suitable for intensive
work but it was great for on spot jobs.  The fact that it geled in minutes
made it much more handy than the liquid hide glue.

Since Tuners Suplly is no longer there, I have made some experiments to make
my own long lasting jello without success.  I know that the trick is to put a
bactericide that could stop the decay process.  But what and how much?  I
tried salt but it renders the glue ineffective.  Does anyone know the recipe?

Michel LaChance, RPT