plate hoists

CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Thu, 04 Apr 1996 07:27:48 -0600 (CST)

Ed Hilbert mentioned his use of 1/4" rods to guide the plate during
removal/replacement.

I too am a fan of this.  I saw a version of it some years ago in the PTG
Journal which used 5/8" (or 3/8 ??) wooden dowels, tapered to a point on
one end.  I tried it and it worked like a charm (!?!).  I still protect
the rim when moving the plate but I always use the dowels in the rim bolt
holes as well and it is rare for the plate to ever touch the case at all.
It doesn't look like it should work so well.  The dowels are not forced
into the threaded rim bolt holes...just dropped in loosely.  I watch to
see that the rim doesn't start to carry one or more of the dowels with
it on its way up.  It always amazes me that something so simple and easy
pays off so well!  :)

Alan Crane, RPT
Wichita State University
crane@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu