Sidewinder

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Thu, 04 Apr 1996 23:25:10 -0500

Jim Kinnear rote, 3/18:
<<I seems that even though the castors were working alright, one of the
assemblies always veered as you described. I decided that the castor was not
installed with the socket EXACTLY  perpendicular to the floor, removed it and
shimmed itwith thin washers on the side to which it wandered, reinstalled it
and the problem was solved.>>

Yup, that's the basic principle of casters, that if a stem is not exactly
plumb, when the wheels therebelow are asked to move, they'll insist on moving
in the direction in which the stem's lean is pointing (with the stem leading
and wheels following). How this works to produce the situation over here on
my piano, I still don't understand. If three stems out of four are plumb,
they'll "outvote" the leaning stem and force it to move in the direction
they're going (which because they're good little casters is the direction
you're pushing in). The bad stem here will have its casters fishtail as a
protest to not moving in the direction it's pointing. As the number of
unplumb stems in a set increases from one on up, the choas grows, and mainly
because the chances are strong that the lean of these unplumb stems will
point in different directions.

What I saw on my piano was a set of four casters which rolled smoothly
without fishtailing, and could change direction easily. What *was* happening
was that while the piano's back stayed parallel with the direction you wanted
to push in, the piano itself moved off that vector by 5 degrees. The only
explanation satisfying the above *known* principles of casterology is that
all four casters are leaning in the same direction. How 'bout them odds? (Or
maybe this piano was abducted one weekend by space aliens, studied for
possible reproductive purposes and returned "caster-ated".)

My next step is to tilt the piano up, and with a dial indicator study the
levelness of the sockects, as you did. What kind of surface I'll indicate
from, I won't know until I see the condition of the underside of the piano.
At the worst, I'll bring along a wooden right-angle "corner" which can sit on
the margin of the bottom edge of the piano back and with the hieight of the
bottom board, with a 6"x12" piece of masonite which can rest both on this
wooden rught angle and the bottom board (thus making a level surface out oof
a chwed up bottom board). The masonite will have a 3" dia hole through which
the indicator will do its probing.

Wish me luck, especially the space aliens return.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
............mental graffitti