latex fasteners

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Fri, 05 Apr 1996 07:51:29 -0500

Last weekend at the recyclying center, I picked out a four-wheel office chair
perfect except that one of its cheap plastic casters had cracked (-- some
 else's mechincial incompetence is my gain.) Installing the double-wheel
double-bearing row casters (two of them so as not to throw the level off)
went smoothly except that on the second wheel, the brass split ring which
holds the caster in the socket wouldn't slip up inside (no matter what I
did.) What to do? well, stuff the socket hole with latex caulk and assemble.

Which got me to thinking, why couldn't we glue key leads in place the same
way. That way we wouldn't run into split keys when we accidentally spread the
leads too hard or loose leads next winter when we didn't spread them enough.
Set in latex, the hole size would only have to be reasonably close (but over)
and the caulk would adhere to both surfaces and stretch and squeeze through
any climate change. (The editorial "we", of course.) Any reaction from the
assembled "we" out there?

On the same sybject did you know that it's real easy to match slug and hole
diameter using metric drill bits in 0.1mm increments?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
............mental graffitti