Mason & Hamlin press release

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Sat, 06 Apr 1996 13:58:33 -0500

Here is the official press release from PianoDisc regarding their acquisition
of Mason & Hamlin:

California music technology firm wins bid to buy Mason & Hamlin piano company

Sacramento, CA -- Music Systems Research, manufacturer of America's best
selling player piano system, PianoDisc, announced today the acquisition of
the bankrupt Mason & Hamlin Piano Company assets.  The selling price has not
been disclosed.  Approval of the acquisition was made during a hearing of the
Bankruptcy Court of Worcester, Massachusetts.  The decision ended months of
planning and negotiations by the Sacramento, California-based firm and over
two years of legal battles between the previous owners and creditors.  Prior
to today's court session, the creditors' committee had voted to approve the
Music Systems Research proposal for reorganization.  The court's primary
reason for granting control to Music Systems Research, was its belief that
the firm would be best able of all of the petitioners to operate Mason &
Hamlin in a profitable manner.  Music Systems Research's track record in the
music industry has been impressive: since production of the PianoDisc system
began in 1989, sales for the firm have increased a staggering 500 percent.
 The company is now ranked as one of the world's top music companies by Music
Trades Magazine.

Mason & Hamlin was founded in Boston in 1854 by Henry Mason and Emmons
Hamlin.  For many years, Mason & Hamlin was one of the world's premier piano
lines, and a strong competitor of Steinway & Sons in attracting the support
of top artists around the world.

The history and prestige of Mason & Hamlin are well appreciated by Music
Systems Research co-owners, Kirk and Gary Burgett, who were present for the
hearing.  "We're pleased that the judge ruled in our favor.  We were hopeful,
but not at all sure of the outcome.  However, we always knew that we would be
able to restore Mason & Hamlin to its former position in the piano industry.
 We will manufacture the pianos with the same high standards that made Mason
& Hamlin one of the most prestigious piano manufacturers in the world,"
commented Gary Burgett.

Operating plans for the firm include the continued production of pianos in
Mason & Hamlin's Haverhill, Massachusetts plant.  "We appreciate the warm
reception given to us by the people of Haverhill, and look forward to working
with our new neighbors," commented Kirk Burgett.  "Owning Mason & Hamlin
fulfills a lifelong dream of mine.  Carrying on the traditions of the great
piano artisans is exciting, and the vision we have for the company is shared
by so many we have met -- people who have been involved with Mason & Hamlin
for years."

In addition to production of the Mason & Hamlin pianos, plans are being
discussed for the Knabe, Sohmer, George Steck, and Falcone piano lines (which
were part of Mason & Hamlin's assets).  "With the recent exit of Kimball from
the piano business, we have an opportunity to fill several gaps in the
marketplace.  In addition to pianos in the high end, we can also start
manufacturing a low-end line to meet consumer demand," commented Music
Systems Research Executive Vice-President, Tom Lagomarsino.  "Production of
pianos to support the PianoDisc player product is another of our goals."

Contact: MSR/PianoDisc
Tel: 916-567-9999
Fax: 916-567-1941

(end of press release)