Hearing protectors

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Sat, 06 Apr 1996 17:21:14 -0600 (CST)

I've waited until I've had them a month before I said anything.  I was
so enthusiastic when I first got my Musicians Hearing Protectors that I
thought it better to see if the enthusiasm would wear off.  It hasn't!!

These are the greatest things since temperament strips!  I wear them
all the time I'm working.  (I take them out to eat lunch as chewing
sounds strange with them in.)

Since the responce is flat I don't have to take them out to tune the
treble and I can hear beats as never before.  I have to assume that the
transient peak of the test blow was overloading the ear so I couldn't
hear what was left.  Now with 15db less sound I can hear all the
partials so much clearer.

If you wonder if they are worth the cost (my audiologist charges
$100.00) have someone play typical test intervals (10ths, 17ths, 24ths
etc.) while you stand 30-40 fee away.  If you hear the beats better
there than when you are at the piano, these flat responce hearing
protectors will help you to hear better.  It kind of upsets me that my
own inherant cheapness kept me from getting this benefit several years
ago.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas