Broadwood single-pin bridge (was: Casters, soft vs hard)

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Sun, 07 Apr 1996 22:46:25 -0400

Ed Hilbert, and the list:

You describe "a tiny Broadwood grand that uses only a single row of bridge
pins on the bass bridge.  A large deflection to the side on the way to the
hitch pins causes the termination to be successful."

The inverted-V shaped bridge with single row of bridge pins was standard
stuff on clavichords, which had _much_ lower string tension than pianos,
especially modern ones.  I have assumed that the two-row arrangement that has
become standard is intended (1) to provide very secure termination with
minimum side bearing, thus reducing bridge splitting, and (2) to balance,
more or less, the horizontal load on the soundboard/bridge structure.  Both
of these seem like laudable goals.  I'd be interested to see that Broadwood
some time to see how it fares vis-a-vis these two areas.

-          Tom McNeil          -
Vermont Piano Restorations