Casters (soft vs hard)

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Mon, 08 Apr 1996 12:02:58 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, John Peters wrote:

> I was just working on a Grotrian concert grand (1992) with HUGE double
> roller brass casters on it, and a handle/brake system so that the
> casters can be turned sideways and locked after the piano is positioned.
> I thought this looked like a nice solution.

When our Symphony installed it's new S&S D last fall, we were weighing
the castor options.  We found out that this option is available, but
requires alternate, shorter legs.  After consideration of the cost, the
stage manager's and my preference, we ordered the (overpriced) Schroeder
spider.  The brass at the Symphony were pushing the spiderless look
until they found out how much extra it was going to cost.  It seems this
is the latest stage fashon for concert pianos.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html