value of 1867 Steinway Square Grand?

Chris Olson dreemer@crl.com
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 23:51:56 -0700

Hi,

I have a client who has an 1867 Steinway Square Grand and needs to sell it.
I have no idea how much something like this is worth.  I told him I would
try to find out. I don't work on Square Grands, but they called for some
minor repairs and said it was an "Upright Grand" so I thought "old
upright".  Since the repairs were minor and something I could handle, I
went ahead and did it.

It seems to be in pretty good condition.  They got it from an museum that
was closing in Upstate New York.   He said they paid $4000.00 for it.  The
case is in excellent condition, nice finsih.  I looked like it had been
refinished and restrung before going into the museum. I had the action out
and it seemed to be in good condition, although I have little experience
with square grand actions.  Looks like all the original Ivory on the keys,
even on the fronts.

any ideas?

also, any suggestions about where they should try to sell it.  The market
for Square Grands is kind of limited : >

Thanks,
Chris

                 --------- Complete Piano Services -----------
 Chris Olson             Tuning - Repairs - Regulating           Sebastopol
 dreemer@crl.com     --------- (707) 824-1840 -------------      California
                   Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild