hide in microwave

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 14:20:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Just a stupid thought....what about the microwave....for refrigerated
> hide glue mentioned previously....? You've already got it in a plastic
> applicator bottle....talk about "hot" glue!!!

It's not so stupid...but I've been scared to try it since hearing a
while back about the guy who exploded his shop with a pail of hide
glue in an industrial microwave.

Actually I've always wondered if the stuff would take microwaving. I
think you would need to stir or shake frequently to avoid the
deterioration due to hot spots developing. On the other hand I dont
find floating the bottle in water in my crockpot to be any trouble at
all. You can keep putting it in and out as you need it. It only takes
ten minutes to heat it up if the water is sitting there...my Rival
crockpot keeps the water at just the right temp. all day (or night).

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686