Quick Puff

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:35:10 -0500 (CDT)

At 09:39 PM 4/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>The parapalegic pedal system has me interested because of I was thinking of
>something similar. Something which could operate a valve on an air line to
>clear chips off a drill press table. I recently bought the flexible plastic
>coolant line which will mount on the drill press head, and I'd been dreaming
>of something to give a quick puff of air on the work in between plunges. I
>had imagined a valve when could be opened by the drill press's quill
>returning, except that would be on as long as the  quill was in the up
>position. Then I thought that a micro switch driving a momentary-on selonoid
>could get me the 2 sec. of air I was looking for.
>
>Has anyone else had this recurring dream?
>
>Bill Ballard RPT
>NH Chapter PTG
>
>"When writing a mental note, first procure a mental piece of paper"
>...........mental graffitti

Bill, a thought from an old player rebuilder,

This could be done mechanically with a pneumatic reservoir perhaps made out
of an empty propane tourch cylinder and a couple of valves. with the quill
up, the supply into the reservoir would be clamped off by a normally open
valve held closed by the quill. In this same position, a normally closed
valve would be held open. This one leads to the puffer hose. When the quill
is lowered, the exaust valve closes as the pressure valve opens and charges
the reservoir. At the top of the return stroke, the pressure is valved off,
and the charged reservoir is vented out the hose. This gives you the same
volume of air with each stroke. The volume would be controlled by air
pressure and reservoir size.
Sorry. Long week, just getting around to reading this stuff. What do you think?

 Ron Nossaman