key bushing cloth

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:50:25 -0500

>There are lots of suppliers for extra dense felt.
>
>Renner  USA -(203)221-7500
>Renner also has leather available for key bushing
>#1050 bushing cloth 1.0mm thick (a) 1cm x 25Cm  (b) 25 x 25cm (c) 1 M2
>#1051    "           "    1.2mm thick           "                      "
>                   "
>#1052    "           "    1.35mm thick          "                      "
>                   "
>
>American Paino Supply Co.
>
>#33890A  Thin
>#33890B   Medium
>#33890C   Thick
>
>Schaff Piano Supply Co.
>
>#314ED "extra density" key bushing cloth, stripped or bulk  They also have
>056 and .065 thicknesses
>
>Pianotek has several thicknesses, I just don't have catolog #'s.
>
>Also, FYI, Pianotek carries keybutton stock that is *very nice* and comes
>with balance rail holes in .146 and .163 sizes.  These buttons are longer
>than most of the replacement buttons that I've seen and can be adapted to
>match existing buttons or look very nice as a complete new set.
>
>I hope this helps you!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Laura Kunsky. RPT

Thanks Laura,

This is helpful information.  I have experimented with many different cloths
over the years.  The thickest that Renner offers, at 1.35 mm, is still a bit
thin for many applications, at least on Pratt-Read keys and on most of the
Steinway keys I have bushed.  The thick cloth offered by most supply houses
is too thick and spongy for key bushings.

At one time, APSCO offered an imported cloth (from England I was told), that
was of excellent quality and ideal thickness for many applications; but the
extra quality cloth they currently carry (as of a few months ago) is rather
fuzzy and spongy, with little or no white core.

I have tried the cloth from Pianotek and found it to be similar to the
Renner in quality and thickness.

Lloyd Meyer of Renner USA has assured me that they are looking into some
alternatives.  Many years ago I ordered a cashmere cloth directly from
Renner that was very heavy and a bit thicker than the 1.35 mm (either that,
or it does not compress as much).  It worked quite well.

I would welcome some alternatives.

Regards,

Charles
Charles Ball