teflon lube

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 A440A@aol.com wrote:

>     I understand that graphite sticks use clay as a binder,  Can any body
> vouch one way or the other on this?
>
> regards,
> Ed Foote

      Ed, my understanding (and I'm not a pencil or graphite
stick manufacturer) is that pencil lead contains clay as a binder, and the
higher the number on the pencil, the higher the ratio of binder to
graphite. I tell my students not to use a pencil numbered higher than "2"
for chasing squeaks in vertical damper springs, but number 1 is better. In
my experience, you can get graphite sticks that seem to be even softer and
darker than number 1 pencils, so my guess would be that they contain very
little binder.

Steve Brady, RPT        "Chaos is the law of nature; order is the
University of Washington      dream of man."    --Henry Adams
sbrady@u.washington.edu