Swing Test

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 12:08:12 -0400

I like to swing my shanks before I Mount them for new hammers.  Hold the shank
the same way as if it had a hammer attached.  Let the shank drop.  Short them
in order by where on the clock face the shank stops.  Those that do not move at
all get repinned, those the swing back get repinned.

With David Stanwood's screws in the shanks this becomes a moot point because
then the friction can be set to whatever.

Other interest item is that friction changes, with or without screws, effects
voicing, sometimes rather profoundly.  I have screws in one of our S&S Ds which
is getting too bright.  (No ear plugs no hear for hour.)  I am going to
increase friction to bring it down if doing so does no raise the frction too
high.

According to the old S&S D tough weight specifications the balance weight was
35 grams.  By most concert pianists perception too light, but they love the
consistancy, but the frction tapers from 20 to 16 grams.

If interested I can post the numbers, currently in a spread sheet.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu