Candle wax cleanup

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:10:19 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, S. Brady wrote:

>     Bob, I've recently become re-acquainted with a wonderful solvent
> named turpentine. It's great for removing greasy, waxy buildup from piano
> finishes, as well as that pernicious masking tape residue left on the
> dampers. (See recent thread on prepared pianos.)
>     And yes, I'm pretty sure it will help you get candle wax off the
> keys and case.

My preference is VM&P (Varnish Makers' and Painters') naptha.  It has
about the same solvency as paint thinner or turp., but less odor and
doesn't leave a white haze.  It also does a pretty good job of cleaning
action parts and bushings.

Mark Story, RPT

mstory@ewu.edu
Eastern Washington University Music Department
Cheney, Washington, USA
http:www.class.ewu.edu/MUSIC/Department/music.html