Frozen Piano

Dennis Benson dennisb@Willmar.com
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 23:57:41 -0700

Don Rose wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Another frozen piano. A large Krydner Upright (old). Tuned in Edmonton to A440 by a reputable
tuner. Moved 2 years later to Regina at 25 below zero left overni

> This is probably going to go to small claims court. I would appreciate any comments that
anyone could make. Any advise?

> Regards, Don Rose

Don,
        It's been my experience in Minnesota that pianos left in the cold suffer
very little damage... unless it becomes lengthy (3 months or more). The most serious
problems involve rust and swelling. As the temperature gets colder the relative humidity
rises, causing pitch raise, swelling and loosened glue joints. One night of cold would
harldy ruin a piano.

        I once worked on 2 concert Boesendorfers that had traveled in a cold van for 36
cold, winter hours. The pitch had risen slightly but everything worked great. I've also
worked on pianos in camp situations where there is NO heat in the winter and they're
doing OK.

      The problem comes when the temperature rises too quickly. The sweating of
the metal parts can cause rust, hard felts and weakened glue joints, but I doubt this
would be the case with such a short exposure.

        Good luck with this situation.    Dennis Benson, RPT  Willmar, Minnesota