Knuckles lubricant

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:16:03 -0400

tech line;
Graphite the scourge !
My opinion on graphite as knuckle lubricant depends on what type of graphite
we are talking about;
1. VJ/graphite lube--- Absolutely ruins knuckles.
2. Powdered graphite-- has its uses but not inside the piano
                                      very messy.
3. Spray graphite-- only for the very brave.
4. Stick graphite-- comes in many grades, some are very good
                               for knuckle lubricant.
Graphite, like most material, can be used improperly. If you were to mix
teflon powder with VJ it would ruin knuckles as quickly as VJgraphite.
 Graphite does contain some type of clay as a binder but Slide All contains
alcohol which dries out leather and powered Teflon is also messy.  I think
the message here is that using anything as a knuckle lubricant can be
overdone and when it is, the knuckles usualy are the worse for it.  Knuckle
lubrication will not cure problems other than squeaks and allowing the jack
and tender to move more freely across the knuckle.  I think that where
problems happen is when lubricants of any kind are used inappropriately and
without moderation. Use graphite if you like, but use it sparingly,
appropriately, and as an adjunct to proper repair and regulation technique,
not in place of.
Just my opinion.
Jim Bryant, RPT