more Steinway questions

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 15:31:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 DBHersh@aol.com wrote:

> Dear everybody,
>    It may be more appropriate to E-mail Steinway directly but I've misplaced
> their technical e-mail address. Also I thought there may be some interest in
> these questions. If you would rather E-mail me direct that is OK and thank
> you in advance.
>
> 1. On some of the new Steinway's I see, but not all, there is a thin piece of
> bushing type cloth under the backrail cloth. Is the purpose of this an air
> damper for noise reduction or is it a quick way to raise or lower the key
> height gang style? I suspect sometimes it is the later because I see it on
> some, but not all of the new grands I see.
>
> 2. When using the una-corda pedal I sometimes get a metal to metal click
> coming from the excess play in between the brass locator plate on the bass
> cheek block and the guide pin coming from the keyframe. I have tried adding a
> small shim in the back of the bass end dag to take up some of the play but it
> wasn't very successful. It is an annoying little noise that I haven't been
> able to do much with. Have any of you experienced this problem and if so have
> you had any success dealing with it? On some of these pianos I have been able
> to observe the bass end swim around while using the shift pedal which to me
> seems that the strike point is changing depending on how the pedal is being
> used.
>
> Doug Hershberger,RPT

Doug:

You will probably need to order a new brass plate for the Bass keyblock.
 Since the UnaCorda shift lever is placing force against the the back of
the the action, it causes the steel action end pin to wear the brass
plate.  You could probably buy some brass stock locally and make the
piece yourself.  When you cut the slot for the end-pin, make only
minimum clearance,  Then lube it with VJ lube or something thick.
ByTheWay, don't worry about the strike point change.  On a long string
it is mighty small stuff.  However, do worry about the sostenuto rod and
its proximity to the damper lever tabs.

Jim Coleman, Sr.     (Yes, I do stuff besides tuning.)>