Frozen Piano

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 21:30:32 -0600

>Finish cracking would develop on some newer instruments, but we never
>had a problem internally with any of our stored instuments from the
>cold.

Cover them entirely with blankets for 24 hours while they warm up, and never
let warm air hit any part of a cold piano. This will minimize the checking
of the finish.

I keep a 90 year old Kimball upright in my unheated garage, where it's been
for three years. It still tunes and plays and as far as I can tell is no
worse now than it was when it was kept indoors. It IS at the end of its
useful life so it may be difficult to tell what kind of damage has been
done, but it certainly isn't hopeless even now.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com