ebonizing a piano case

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:43 -0400 (EDT)

>       Having an terribly beat-up, but fairly good insides of a grand on
> which I teach - I would like to make it look better by ebonizing it.  I
> have smoothed out the huge gouges and scratches in the old finish - but
> now I need some help in how to proceed to ebonize it.  Has anyone any
> experience with this process.  I did some furniture years ago in the
> fashion of ebonizing - but all I remember is that I used lacquer spray -
> am I on the right track?

Spray lacquer is what is commonly used for this. If you've not done it
before you may want to check out the possability of having a finisher do
it. We've seen all too many re-finishing jobs done by people not
experienced in it that look like that. You can probablt get it refinished
for $2400-3800.

If you want to tackle it yourself take the time to learn the steps by
reading up on it. Preperation is the key step. Finish should be stripped
off. Surface prepared by filling in gouges, etc. If it's an open pore wood
like mahog. or wlanut you should use wood filler to fill the grain. Prime,
sand and top coat with the black lacquer of your choice. You should have a
compressor and spray gun.To get the satin finish you'll need to rub out the
finish.

It is a skill that is learned through proper training and experience, like
any other facet of the piano trade.

Check with Webbb Phillips at Allied Piano. He sells finishing supplies for
piano re-finihsing. 215-674-2835

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
1(800)272-5980