bleaching ivory

ignacio lopez coviella@acs.bu.edu
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

John,
During the meeting in Albuquerque I attended a class on ivory repair
given by William Smith.  To bleach ivory he uses Miss Clairol Hair
Bleach (seems to be a combination of hydrogen peroxide and phosphoric
); Clairoxide.  He cleans the key or sands it using 400 g to break the
grease glaze and applies a little and puts it in the sun.  I do not know
how much is a little.  For blanks, he will put them in a jar of it 24
hrs, tharinse with CLEAR dish detergent, and dry on paper towel, turning
frequently to prevent curling.  He said NEVER to use clorox.
Mary Logue