Question about high gloss finishes

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 07:34:39 -0400

Don;
 I did not see this second reply to my post to Keith before I posted to the
list and  I would like to point out a few things.
1. I never said there was a finish that was 100% impervious to air and
moisture.
2. What I said was that wood under a polyester finish can not breathe as we
know it.
3. After many years of dealing with older finishes, polyester and laquer,
that have cracked and released from the wood subsurface I find that this is
certainly "the least bit true" and I believe that it will prove true in most
cases before polyester loses its appeal and or current favor. I love
polyester finishes, but they are not perfect.
4. "It angers me to read such an incorrect, blanket statement unfounded in
fact."
Don everything I said was as the result of experience in dealing with wood
and polyester. Pianos are not the only thing with a polyester finish that
develops cracks and the reason is usually release of the subsurface due to
expansion and contraction. Ask your friendly boat builder,or car builder,
about this. For example I have a Kawai (20 years old) in the shop now for
repair/rebuild and the fallbaord music rack and lid are manufactured
substrate, there are no cracks in the finish of these parts. The finish on
the rim of the case is heavily cracked and it is wood (laminated of course).
I don't know about formulations or applications, I only know what I see in
front of me. This is fact and not "unfounded". Nothing is true all the time
Don.

5. Perhaps my choice of "high grade particle board" is what you are upset
about. I used the term first and soley for the reason that some might not
have known what manufactured substrate is. I suppose that this was a poor
choice of words, but all other references to this was to manufactured
substrate.
6. "There is no particle board used." Don are you saying that there is no
particle board, or other wood substitute, used in the manufacture of Young
Changs ?
7. "It is irresponsible to identify materials based on the weight of a lid!"
Don I absolutely agree that it would be irresponsible to do so. However my
identification of materials is based on repairs to lids of various
manufacturers,i.e. Young Chang, Kawai, Yamaha, Samick, Steinway etc., split,
cracked dented, etc., and not based on weight.
8. "Keep in mind that satin finishes are also often polyester - one shouldn't
single out high gloss only as being polyester."
Don the question was asked about Gloss finishes and that is how the answer
was directed.

  Evidently I touched upon some nerve or sore point of yours and if so I
apologize. I answered Keith with my opinion based on my experience and
knowledge without malice toward anyone or any manufacturer. As a matter of
fact I closed my post with an invitation for some Manfacturers Rep to jump in
and explain the reasoning better than me. I don't feel that anything I said
deserved the wording in the reply you made to Keith and certainly did not
deserve being taken out of context the way you did.

Jim Bryant (FL)