Mistery Pitch Swings

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:17:31 -0500

<< My question is: What would cause this wild raise in pitch in the console,
 especially above the bass/tenor break? My curiosity is really piqued. I
would
 appreciate any ideas from any of you.

 John Elving, RPT
 Elving's Piano Service
 Sacramento, CA (home of the 1997 California State PTG Convention)

John,
  Had the piano been moved from a dryer climate? Was it acclimated to the
church? Were the plate fasteners tight? Had it been exposed to high humidity
before you arrived? (water leak, etc.) Is your hygrometer accurate? Is there
a separation between pinblock and back? It sounds like the soundboard really
pushed the strings. The bass was less affected because it is closer to the
edge of the board. I would guess the piano has been exposed to greater
humidity at some point between the tunings.

Regards,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.