muting

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:47:33 -0600 (CST)

At 11:23 AM 12/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I have found that when I wish to do a good tuning the aliquat scales can
>interfere with hearing the top treble.
>
>Chris Robinson created aliquat mutes by sewing buckshot into a tube of cloth.
>A wonderful idea except carrying all that lead around.  I stipfather always
>said to get the lead out, not put it in.
>
>Lately I have been using 'Silly Putty' to quieten aliquats with great sucess.
>I have observed to reaction between the putty and the strings yet, but I have
>wondering if any knows the constituants of the material and form an opinion of
>any dilaterious effects on piano strings.
>
>It works wonderfully, and if you get bored you have something to play with
>while you are waiting to get paid.
>
>Comments?
>
>	Newton
>	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

In the early 1940's, James Wright was working for General Electric and was
given the assignment of developing a cheap substitute for synthetic rubber
for Jeep and airplane tires. Combining boric acid and silicone oil, he
invented the stuff that some one else got filthy rich marketing as Silly Putty.

Now, as to what detremental effects we can expect it to have on piano
strings, I don't have a clue. Anyone got any litmus paper? What's the PH of
this stuff? I know it doesn't TASTE acid. (Come on, you know you tasted it
too!) Maybe the polymerization process mutates the ingredients into
something benign. Any chemists out there?

 Ron Nossaman