Harpsichord stringing

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 11:48:59 -0600 (CST)

>    1. What exactly is rag paper?

Good quality, acid free paper made from rags rather than all pulp.
Available from art and framing and conservation suppliers.

>    2. When removing and replacing a tuning pin on a harpsichord, do
you need
> to wear gloves (or something) to keep from getting any finger oils on the
> pin threads?

I have sometimes used white cotton gloves from photo supply houses, esp
in the summer when my hands were really damp and oily. I'm not sure that
it's crucial though.

Your best bet in doing any harpsichord or fortepiano work is to contact
the maker before doing anything. This is easy for Phillips,
Hubbard/Broekman, Wolf, Regier, Martin etc. Can be aproblem when the
maker is deceased or retired. It's is always best to respect the makers
wishes whenever possible, this will maintain the integrity of the
instrument, keeping it sounding and playing as intended.

Dave Doremus, RPT
dbd01@www.gnofn.org
New Orleans

Music came first; then the scales...; then...the theorists to explain them.
And as they knew more of mathematics than of musical history they laid down
laws which, in actual fact, no human being had ever obeyed.    (Percy Buck)