Help, URGENT!

PianoBook@aol.com PianoBook@aol.com
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:20:40 -0500

>In 1993, I had a plate break just after I finished  tuning.  It was
>approximately l8 years old, Aeolian.  I was sued, but after one year of
>dealing with lawyers, the owner of the piano dropped the suit.  PTG members
>all came to my rescue.  I couldnt have gone through it without them.  This
>morning I received a call from a tuner in Springfield, Ill., who had a
broken
>plate.   Again, an Aeolian approximately 18 years old.  Since my broken
>plate, I have seen two more.  Im getting a bit paranoid.
>
>Marnie

According to Paul Monachino, who worked for Aeolian, then Mason & Hamlin,
from 1947 to 1995, Aeolian made a small grand (about 4'10"?) in their East
Rochester, NY factory which, beginning in the 1960s, had a weak plate, prone
to breakage.  It was sold under a variety of names, including J. & C. Fischer
and Geo. Steck.  Paul said lots of these broke in the factory when the piano
was being strung, but often they would break in the field too, sometimes many
years after manufacture.  Last year I put a note about this phenomenon in the
third edition of The Piano Book, under "Aeolian", so that technicians who ran
into trouble with these pianos could use the power of the printed word to
help defend themselves against disgruntled customers.  Marnie Squire's
valiant and successful defense against a lawsuit (see message above) prompted
me to do this.

Larry Fine