Re Bk checks and S&S Questi

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 10:48:34 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:20 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Bk checks and S&S Question         Date:  2/17/96

------------ORIGINAL POST--------------

This piano was built in 1981, and as far as the schools records indicate,
they have owned it since 1983.  Nowhere in these records does it show that
the hammers were replaced.  The hammers are Steinway hammers (at least they
say so, and look like them) but the tails are only one inch long, and rather
then being rounded, the molding is straight with a 1/4' bevel.  This bevel
has some serious notches cut into it, and there is only that 1/4" contact
with the backcheck.
Gordon Large
Mt. Vernon, Maine

[------------REPLY-------------

Steinway and Sons used this configuration for their hammer tails for a while.
They have since increased the size of their tails and changed the contour.
During that period of manufacture, we at Oberlin changed the contour of those
hammers and started to order hammers from Steinway "raw" so that we could make
the tails longer (the felt is pressed onto moldings that are longer than the
final spec and later cut to length) and shape the tails as we saw fit. A 2.5"
or 3.5" radius on the tail will provide for good checking . Articles in past
journals describe how to do it on a disc sander. Do not abraid the surface
after contouring; merely use 60 grit cloth abrasive material on your disc for
a perfect surface.

In regard to recovering or replacing checks: If the felt behind the leather is
resilient, recover them. Richard Meyers in NY provides excellent buckskin for
the job.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory