Sidewinder

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 19:08:47 -0500

I recently changed casters on a 20yearold Yam P202 at a high school, and had
to check out the complaints of people who push it around. What I found was
solid sockets and stems, and properly swiveling casters. If however, you
pushed from one end, the piano wanted to move off at a 5degree angle, while
keeping its back parallel to its original orientation. (Just think of a
hammer which needs traveling but yet which stands perfectly plumb, and
imagine Scot Jones describing it to you.)

I'm embarassed not to know: is this a function of the distribution of weight
between the back casters and the toe blockcasters? The sidewinding appears to
be solely a function of where on the end you do your pushing. The piano loses
its sideways vector when you push from the corner of the keybed above the toe
block.

Bill Ballard PRT
NH CHapter PTG

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers...."
Woody Allen as Blanche DuBois.