un-weighting

Don Mannino 74473.624@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:31:38 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Simmons wrote:

>>It's sure been quiet with ya-all at Dearborn. I'm about to begin trying to
solve some complaints of "loose action" on a Steinway D, used for
concerts. In speaking with the previous technician the keys were weighted
to give it a lighter touch, after new hammers were installed. When I came
to it, it was badly out of regulation (I'm suspicious that it wasn't well
regulated before weighting, after a light regulation, the touch is no
longer consistent (it really wasn't before) and the touch is predominantly
very light. I'm afraid I need to start knocking out weights, which is a
new operation for me. Can anyone tell me what problems I'm looking at? I
assume I have to plug the holes. . .any details you'd like to suggest?

I'm going to start out by regulating, so I won't be knocking any weights
out today, but I'd love any suggestions ASAP.<<

Bob,

I'd recommend a careful touch weight analysis before doing any work at all. At
the least, make a chart of up and downweights, and a difference number for quick
reference.

After making a chart of weights, check some of the parts on the extreme notes
for friction.  See if you can correlate the measurements with the friction or
alignment of the parts on those notes.

A more thorough method would be to use Stanwood's analysis system - I'll leave
it to him to respond on that subject.

After analysis, decide what to do. You should never weigh off a keyboard without
making sure the hammer and wippen flanges are consistent in friction. The more
exact procedure would be to repin everything with 1 gram from note to note, then
match the hammer weights, then regulate the action, the weight off the touch. If
the hammer job was not a careful one, the hammer tails may be sloppily tapered
and curved, and the hammer weights might be quite uneven.

You didn't mention is the shanks and wippens are original. If they have been
changed also, then you'd better check that their dimensions are working well
with that action.

The quickest method of addressing this problem would be to correct extremes of
friction, eliminate wear (especially at the knuckles), regulate the action, then
remove the front most lead in each key, plug and re-weight off.

Don Mannino RPT
74473.624@compuserve.com