Grand piano repair quest

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 18:13:28 -0600 (MDT)

I hope this is helpful,
Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca
--------------------------------------
Date: 4/30/96 16:17
To: Ted Sambell
From: pianotech
Dear Friends on Pianotech,

I have a problem:

-1930's Vose and Sons 5'7" grand (in poor condition) in a town 25 miles
away
-2 broken strings on said piano
-about a dozen loose tuning pins in bass section (From dry winter)
-long screw running through leg plate into bass end of keyframe
-removal of action impossible because of long screw
-repair of loose tuning pins and replacement of strings not possible
because of
     inability to remove action and support pinblock with pinblock jack
-twice set up time to have several people assist in repair (remove leg,
remove
     screw, reinstall leg), but no luck in making connections with helpers

Question:  Is it possible for one person to remove and replace a grand
piano
leg by themselves (and live to tell about it) and if so, what is the proper
procedure?

Thank you for your indulgence of my Associate-level Question.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/