Grand piano repair question

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Wed, 01 May 1996 15:19:38 -0400

>Question:  Is it possible for one person to remove and replace a grand piano
>leg by themselves (and live to tell about it) and if so, what is the proper
>procedure?

Try using an adjustable automobile jack , the type used in garages.

Set the height an inch or so higher than the underside of the keybed, lift
the corner of the piano  ( USE YOUR LEGS!!) and scoot the jack under the
piano with your foot.

I routinely do this in my shop and the jack can easily be used in the
customers home.

Use a good quality,heavy duty jack!  Some of the ones sold at the local
Autoworks are kind of flimsy.

Be careful and good luck.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University