Student Help

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 02 May 1996 12:31:11 -0500

List,
   I've been browsing in the archives off and on the last few weeks (boy, what
a wealth of information, etc.) and saw a couple of references to using
student help to clean the pianos. Most of the ones here, especially in the
practice rooms have not been cleaned in YEARS!! Except for the ones I've
worked on since coming here.

QUESTION 1:
   Could some who do this give me any suggestions on how to get that type
of thing started, how far to go with it, how they're payed, rates,
justifications for doing it (that a non-pianist administrator would
understand). Anything at all along that line.

QUESTION 2:
   I had a piano performance major (DMA) yesterday tell me that she is
buying a new Yamaha C7. She loves the piano but had a question about the
"brightness" of the instrument. Tuning and voicing before/after it's
delivered will, of course, improve it. She tends to like a bright piano,
anyway.
   My question is, over the years, how difficult is it going to be to keep
the brightness within bounds, even for someone who likes a fairly bright
piano? It will be placed on carpet, so that will probably help.
   I've had very little exposure to the newer Yamaha's, as far as servicing
them is concerned, but know they tend to be on the bright side. So I
thought maybe some of you "Yamaha" techs out there could give me some idea
of what to expect. I'll be servicing it in the future and just wanted to
have an idea of what I might have to deal with.
   Thanks for any help anyone can give me for either or both of these
questions.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moore's School of Music
University of Houston