Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight

Ken Hale kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Thu, 02 May 1996 21:03:22 +0000

On  2 May 96 at 21:50, Tunrboy@aol.com wrote Re: Articles on the
"Horowitz" Stei:

Hi,

> friends tell me, "He willed it to play pianissmo."  And yes, the hammers are
> as bright as any I've heard!  However, it should be noted that the brilliant

I attended Franz's class in Portland and he said that he used to
plead with Horowitz to let him put a new set of hammers on and
Horowitz would not let him, saying that the tone was wonderful the
way they were.

This may or may not prove that a great pianist can make music on any
piano.

I have had the fortune to work with Istvan Nadas, who told me about
pianos in terrible shape as he toured through some countires. I'll
bet that his performances were musical even then.

There is still some mystery in music.

Ken Hale, RPT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PianoDB is released and ready to ship.