Piano moving -Reply

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Mon, 06 May 1996 08:21:04 -0500

I saw at a summer national PTG seminar a technician who'd invented
a one man piano mover that could safely move concert grands....it
was some sort of metal "cage" looking contraption made from aluminun
studs i think......maybe some of you remember it....anyway...w/ leverage
once the piano was on this metal "cage" (for want of a better word)
he could turn the entire concert grand on its side...and then remove
the legs...(correct me if i'm wrong those of you who saw this...either
in Indianapolis or Kansas City...?) .... there were wheels on the side...
so there was no need for a skidboard or dollies, ....he could wheel it
to a moving van ...right up to the ramp...then with a cable and
atomatic winch, he could pull the 9 footer up the ramp and secure it
into the van...!!!!! I never did catch the guys name...or if he still makes
this device....or if he patented it....I was astounded to say the least....
it was all leverage/fulcrum's and gravity....anyway...maybe someone
out there remembers this....a truly "one" man grand moving device.....

Rich Adkins
Coe College Music Dept.