Lyre a load bearing member?

RVCARR@aol.com RVCARR@aol.com
Mon, 06 May 1996 20:21:45 -0400

Just wondering . . .

Much of the recent Grand Moving thread has related to getting the grand on
its side (or back up again) using the lyre to support (a major portion of the
weight of) the piano.

This has always worried me greatly. In my younger days I nearly came to blows
with professional movers who insisted on using this method. I soon resolved
the issue to my satisfaction, when the move involved a piano I was
responsible for and I was available to "assist," by removing the lyre before
the MOVERS arrived, and installing it myself after they were done!

I've always wanted to get the official MANUFACTURER position on this issue. I
understand that the movers do it because it saves time and effort on their
part--as long as the lyre holds. But we're generally the ones who end up
having to repair the lyre. And sometimes the keybed as well.

Robert V. Carr RPT
DeLand FL