more Steinway questions

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Tue, 07 May 1996 00:17:55 -0400 (EDT)

Doug,
      I presume your question:
<2. When using the una-corda pedal I sometimes get a metal to metal click
coming from the excess play in between the brass locator plate on the bass
c the keyframe. I have tried adding a
small shim in the back of the bass end dag to take up some of the play but it
wasn't very successful. It is an annoying little noise that I haven't been
able to do much with. Have any of you experienced this problem and if so have
you had any success dealnos I have been able
to observe the bass end swim around while using the shift pedal which to me

Press RETURN for more...

MAIL>

    #22         27-APR-1996 17:45:32.02                                  NEWMAIL
seems that the strike point is changing depending on how the pedal is being
used.

was in relation to a Steinway also.  If so, we had a similar problem with a
brand new D.  The problem and solution require a bit too much conversation
for me to put it all here on Pianotech, but I would be glad to discuss it over
the telephone if you wish to call me.  Best before 9:00 in the morning or
later in the evening before 11:00 at night.  That
That's Vermont time of course!
      Our problem had a number of components to it, including keybed to
keyframe contour problems, glide height problems, very rapid wear in the
wood at the shift lever point on the keyframe, excess play in the shift
lever pivot pin, etc.  Our shift noise appeared on the return direction of
the keyframe when releasing the una corda pedal.  It turned out to be mainly
a problem in keyframe to keybed slap as a result of the above problems.
Please call if any of this sounds like it might relate to your situation.
Ed Hilbert, RPT