Plate bolt torque

Doug Richards drichard@qntm.com
Tue, 07 May 1996 13:26:17 -0700

Howdy All,

I have read in quite a few places that the bolts on the iron plate should be
checked for tightness before tuning.  I have measured a few uprights and a grand
recently with a torque wrench and got a range from 25-250 in-lbs.

Just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what the "factory" spec is and
also what the ballpark torque would be on older pianos (assuming the wood back
support such is in good condition, ect).

Also, if any of you know of any books or articles regarding this, please drop me
a note.

douglas
        C. Douglas Richards                     Telephone: (408)894-4592
        Mechanical Engineer                       FAX: (408)894-6298
          Saguaro Group                        E-mail: drichard@qntm.com