Rippon piano--plastic action

Lkunsky257@aol.com Lkunsky257@aol.com
Tue, 07 May 1996 20:09:23 -0400

Dear Gary,

I sympathize with you.  I too, have one of this pianos in my care.  I pray my
customer will see that repairs are so frequent and costly that they won't be
able to afford NOT to upgrade!

Now, to the matter at hand!  If the key flange (the part you describe as "the
plastic piece and a metal strip") separates into two parts, it is broken and
needs to be replaced.  You will also find that the plastic flange that holds
the damper to the damper rail frequently breaks  and then the damper won't
function!

Back to your key problem... I get my parts from A.G. Keylard Piano Shop, 334
E. North Ave. Northlake, IL.  60164 USA  phone# 708-562-8900.

Turn the keyflange through 90 degrees and pull out of the key.  Insert a new
flange by pushing in and turning through 90 degrees (note which side of the
flange is towards the front of the key).  When fitting a key, you should make
sure that the keyflange is turned until it's sides are parallel to the front
section of the key.  Clip the key into the rail, pushing it by hand from the
top, push down on the middle straight above the flange.

Other tips...to remove a black key, insert a screwdriver as near as possible
to the flange of the key and lever the key up!
.....to fit a new key, slip the fange into the slot of the balance rail and
press down by hand.
....There's also a nifty way to remove the action.  If I remember right,
there is a clip on the far left hand action bracket that when lifted will
allow the action to tip right out!

There is hardly any wood in these pianos.  The plate is aluminum and all the
action parts are make out of plastic, felt and aluminum!

Feel free to email me if you need any more help, or sympathy!

Sincerely,

Laura Kunsky, RPT