Piano Moving

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Tue, 07 May 1996 22:07:31 -0400

In a message Gordon Large writes:

>> David Hagberg (RPT in Massachusetts) had a dolly made for going across
>lawns
>> and such.  It had a steel frame with six wheels (3 on each side with the
>> middle wheel of each side mounted slightly lower)  It was not motorized,
>and
>> I can't remember whether it had a brake.  The wheels were pneumatic, about
>> the size you see on the front of a riding lawn mower.  If you want his
>> number, E-mail me directly.

Philip,
I'll jump in here because the dolly which Gordon Large is referring to is
actually my dolly which David borrowed to use at the New England Regional
Seminar last week.  I'm pretty sure that's where Gordon saw David using it.
The dolly was manufactured by Harry Day, Peachtree Georgia.  Harry Day taught
a class at the Dallas convention on piano moving---I think he is a member of
 PTG.  He also manufactures/sells skid boards, ramps and various kinds of
dollies.  I've owned this particular dolly for more than three years now and
have had nothing but praise for it.  If you do many across the lawn type
moves, get one, that's all there is to it.  No more sheets of plywood leap
frogging across the lawn.  It doesn't have brakes, I've never seen a dolly
with brakes, but we had talked of adding a ratchet device to prevent it from
giving up hard earned turf.
With the pneumatic tires you must be careful not to go too fast.  The piano
can hit a dip in the lawn and spring right up in the air.  That's my only
caution--it can be a little bouncy--but that is very easily remedied by going
slowly.
He has an 800 number for ordering.  His company name is something like Moving
Specialties.  Maybe someone else has the phone number and more info on Harry
Day. If not I'll post it again tomorrow.
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com