string sizzle

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 10 May 1996 13:30:19 -0500

Paul,
   A couple of comments. Make sure the notching for the adjacent note (and
the offending note, for that matter) is not touching the offending
string(s) on the speaking length.
   How about side bearing on the offending strings? Is there enough? Have
you tried gently knocking them over a little? This may be the reason the
original installation had some bent pins.
   You've probably thought of these things, but thought I'd mention them,
just in case.

>In general, the tone is significantly improved.  However, on A3 I pick up
>a sound which I can best describe as a sizzle on a hard blow.  I have
>been able to reduce it some by deep needling the hammer.  I can supress
>the sizzle by pushing on the v-bar with my thumb. I am not suggesting
>that the is originating there, only that the fleshy part of the thumb
>easily dampens the noise.  The noise appears to be coming from the center
>and left strings of the unison.  I have seated the strings on the bridge.
> On this piano the top side of the bridge is notched, but the bottom side
>is not.  I would really appreciate any suggestions for solving this
>problem.  Thanks.
>
>Paul Stephens,
>RPT

Avery Todd, RPT