player piano shut off

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Wed, 15 May 1996 10:28:20 -0400 (EDT)

An Aeolian Cabaret player (1973) which I serviced last week had the
problems which Larry just described; paper fluff and bleed cleaning.  For
some reason, those plastic valved bleeds tend to get clogged easily.
Another possible problem can sometimes be loose (leaking) gasket joints
or excess air leakage through cracked wood (some of the wood they used
wasn't so great).  Since good valve operation also depends on
pneumatically tight air channels (to maintain the proper pressure [or
partial vacuum] differentials), it is good to tighten any loose gasket
screws, apply a small bead of PVC-E (or SOBO) glue around the edge of any
suspect gaskets, and to seal (thick shellac or lacquer) any large leaking
cracks in the wooden channels.  In the event that the plastic-housed
unit valve is bad, replacements might still be available from Schaff.

Craig Bougher's book on Orchestrion building has some good chapters
(available from Player Piano Co., Wichita, and Schaff) on how to easily
test valves for proper bleed rate versus tracker bar hole size.
According to Craig's criterion, most of the old players are fairly close
to theory, but a l970's Sting and Cabaret I tested didn't come close to
proper bleed ratio; therefore, how can we expect their valves to operate
properly? Is this why most of the newer pneumatic players strike with
only a small portion of the power that the older 1920's players could
muster? I suspect additional shortcomings also.  Hope some of this helps.

Fred Scoles, RPT
Oswego, NY