Bob O'Ling Hammerz

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Wed, 15 May 1996 14:24 -0400 (EDT)

>I recently spent some extra time on a Samick/PianoDisc installation because
>I wanted to learn about actions and all that is related.  I'll set the
>stage......
snip
>The symptom is bobbling hammers on soft playback with the electromechanical
>(PDS) but plays great by hand.
snip

>Would anyone care to expound on this??  Samicks are being marketed under
>lots of names, and if I don't learn how to cope with their peculiarities, I
>guess I'll have to cope with a bit of buyer's remorse from the customer.
>I'd prefer to master their actions and understand their (I hate using this
>word) inadequacies.  Or is it me that's inadequate??
>
>Lar

We had the same problem on a Samick built grand (5'9") with a PianoDisc
installation. Notes dropped out on playback at soft playback levels.

In our case the problem was due to the fact that the PianoDisc system does
not allow for the individual note to note control for each key. As the
playback volume is turned down there will be certain notes that won't play.

I called PianoDisc to see if there was not something I was missing and was
told that I wasn't.

I believe on the Yamaha Disklavier there is a configuration procedure that
adjusts the playback of each note to take into account the differences on
each note.

The QRS system has a manual procedure for adjusting each note for the
minimum velocity needed for each note.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.