Tuning Chart

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 16 May 1996 02:56:24 -0400

>     On behalf of someone offline, I'm looking for the chart that comes with
> most electronic tuning machines that converts hz frequency to cents.
>Essentially this person needs the chart to check the aural
>tempramants of his students (incuding me) with a vintage Conn strobotuner.
>If anyone has the data stashed somewhere electronically, a copy would help
>
>Thanks, 8-) Rob Kiddell
--------------------
Hi, Rob,

It's been a while since I've seen a Strobotuner, but if memory serves me, it
has a cents knob. Why do you need to convert Hz into cents? Apart from the
rough rule of thumb that 1 Hz=4 cents @A440, 2 cents @880, etc., no table can
tell you what you're asking to the degree of accuracy you require, for two
reasons: 1) each piano has a different scale and 2) two good tuners might
choose slightly different widths of temperament octave.  If you are using it
to check temperaments, for each piano you will need to calculate an
individual amount of cents offset for each note (except A440), based upon the
width chosen for the temperament octave. I can help with that if you need;
it's not difficult.

Second question: does the little window display all the harmonics, or just
octaves?

Finally, I don't think you can get an accurate enough reading with a
StroboTuner, although you can certainly get a pretty good idea of how smooth
your temperament is. Is there someone around with an AccuTuner? If not, good
results can be obtained with a little more effort with an old Sight-O-Tuner,
and it's not terribly expensive used.

Let me know if I can help further.
Bob Davis