Lyre a load bearing member?

delgit@afm.org delgit@afm.org
Thu, 16 May 1996 22:23:14 -0500 (EST)

IJ>More on the Lyre as a moving tool....
IJ>I'm glad to hear your reservations, as I wouldn't think it would be strong
IJ>enough to tilt the piano on; maybe to sit there, but to actually use it as a
IJ>pivot to lean the piano to the ground ( skid )??? scares me !!
IJ>What about some of you folks that are doing this [ moving grands ] on a
IJ>regular
IJ>basis??
IJ>I'd appreciate any tips in addition to those who have already responded.
IJ>PS The snow is finally leaving this part of Canada ( is it alright to say
IJ>this?
IJ>it's not political, but neither is it a technical observation...... how's th
IJ>weather in Cuba this time of year? )

IJ>thanks

IJ>Jim Kinnear
IJ>KPS

Jim,
    My wife also helps me move pianos.  We've moved hundreds of grands
using the lyre support & tip method (taught me by an older piano mover
25 years ago).  We've never had any damage using this technique.

    I've also moved many grands by myself sometimes enlisting the help
of the owner to place the dolly under the skid, etc.

    Obviously, we carefully check all legs and lyre prior to doing
anything.  One old piano's lyre was actually resting on the floor anyway
and needed a complete repair anyway.  It simply pays to be observant and
practice safe methods, i.e. using your legs instead of your back.

    Just curious: What does KPS stand for?  Excuse me, For what does the
initials KPS stand?

       Del Gittinger, RPT
       Marion, OH