Restringing Question

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 23 May 1996 08:53:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 May 1996 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Dear Pianotech list,
>
> I am preparing to restring a Steinway L for our School of Music over the
> summer. I am wondering what procedures you might recommend for reaming
> holes prior to installing new pins (or if you recommend reaming at all,
> come to think of it). I will be replacing 2-0's with 4-0's.
>
> Many thanks,
>

> Tom Seay
>

> Tom Seay
> t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
> The University of Texas at Austin

Tom:

Unless the present pins are quite uneven in torque, I'd drive in the
new ones without reaming.  If you have some very loose, and others that
are snug, reaming might make your new set more consistant.  Hand
reaming has the potential to make a reasonably consistant set of pins
inconsistant.  I never ream if I don't have to.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University