Restringing Question

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Thu, 23 May 1996 12:07:16 -0400

Hi Tom,
  The last Steinway L that I restrung had pretty tight tunings pins to
start with and needed only a 1 size upgrade.  I purchased a brass brush
that is used for cleaning gun barrels and rammed that into each hole with a
twisting motion.  The intent was merely to refresh the hole by getting to
new wood.  That was 3 years ago and the tuning pins don't jump, squeak or
otherwise cause me problems.  I'm not sure if I would have got the same
result if I hadn't used the brush, but it made sense to me.  I've never
used a reamer in restringing, only the brush.
  Best regards,

  Ted Simmons